The Nikon Coolpix A looks like any other compact, sleek and portable as a possible. However, this is far from your typical compact camera, and in fact further blurs the line between large DSLR’s for professionals and the average everyday “shooters’
In the Coolpix A, Nikon managed to pack a DX-format sensor—16.2-megapixel APS-C—inside of a 4.4 x 2.6 x 1.6-inches body. Considering how large a comparable professional DSLR is, the results look pretty amazing…
Phenomenal compact performance
A one-of-a-kind COOLPIX camera that brings the dazzling image quality of a Nikon DX-format D-SLR image sensor and the superb optical quality of a NIKKOR fixed (prime) lens to the COOLPIX Advanced Performance collection. Create truly stunning photos and Full HD 1080p videos with beautifully blurred backgrounds and tack-sharp subjects, even in low light, and grow your capabilities over time with a growing collection of compatible Nikon accessories.
Consumers will get plenty of advanced settings and manual modes, including a manual focus ring and multiple Scene Modes. There’s also a 4 frame-per-second burst mode to better capture action, and a dashboard menu on the LCD, along with additional body controls.
There’s no optical viewfinder, interchangeable lens support or zoom, but it’s compact, produces high quality results, and inches toward what you’d expect in some of today’s entry-level DSLRs.
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the COOLPIX A, the first COOLPIX compact digital camera equipped with a DX-format CMOS sensor.
The COOLPIX A is equipped with a new wide-angle 18.5mm, f/2.8 (equivalent to a 28mm angle of view in 35mm  format) fixed focal length NIKKOR lens designed exclusively for the COOLPIX A and a DX-format CMOS sensor for the ease and portability of a compact digital camera with the superior rendering capabilities of a digital SLR camera.
The fixed focal length NIKKOR lens designed exclusively for, and built into, the COOLPIX A maximizes the capabilities of the large DX-format CMOS sensor while also making the most of the superior resolution and rendering characteristics of the NIKKOR lens. The extremely practical wide-angle lens that covers a wide variety of shooting scenes is designed with optics that maximize lens performance while making the most of the portability of the compact digital camera. Various types of aberrations are effectively reduced for superior rendering performance throughout the entire frame at all aperture settings. In addition, adoption of a seven-blade iris diaphragm allows users to enjoy beautiful and natural blur characteristics.
The COOLPIX A measures approximately 110.0 mm wide, 64.3 mm high and 40.3 mm deep, and weighs approximately 299 g*2. Despite its compact size, the camera’s DX-format CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 16.2-million pixels, image-processing engine, and NIKKOR lens enable the same superior image quality, rich tone expression, and color reproduction as digital SLR cameras for high resolutions and sharp rendering. What’s more, in response to users who demand extremely sharp images, the compact body of the COOLPIX A has not been equipped with an optical low-pass filter.
In addition to support for recording of 14-bit compressed NEF (RAW) images, the COOLPIX A is equipped with a number of functions that will make users want to use the camera more often, including a manual focus ring that can be used to achieve creative intent, and a function for recording 1920 x 1080/30p full-HD movies. One major feature of the camera is the metallic look and feel of its design. An extremely durable magnesium alloy has been adopted for the top cover. A leather accent on the grip and dials cut from metal ensure an elegant finish with attention to detail, and a dignified body with a sense of authenticity that will be a source of pride to users.
The COOLPIX A offers a variety of dedicated accessories that enable complete system expansion, including the Optical Viewfinder DF-CP1, the Adapter Ring UR-E24, which enables attachment of lens hoods and filters, the metal Lens Hood HN-CP18, which restricts light passing through the lens without negatively influencing images and also helps to protect the surface of the lens. The COOLPIX A also supports accessories for Nikon digital SLR cameras such as Nikon Speedlights*3, the GPS Unit GP-1, which enables recording of information such as locating latitude, longitude, altitude, and date and time with image data, and the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a*4, which can be used to easily share still images and movies recorded with the camera with a smart device (all accessories available separately).
- *1Equivalent to a 28mm angle of view in 35mm  format
- *2Including battery and SD memory card
- *3SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600, SB-400
- *4The Wireless Mobile Utility app must first be installed on the smart device (the app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device’s app store).
COOLPIX A Primary Features
- A new wide-angle 18.5mm, f/2.8 (equivalent to a 28mm angle of view in 35mm  format) fixed focal length NIKKOR lens designed exclusively for the COOLPIX AThe new NIKKOR lens developed exclusively for the COOLPIX A has been optimized for the DX-format CMOS sensor and mechanical design of the lens barrel. The optical design maximizes lens performance while also helping to make the camera smaller and lens barrel slimmer. The lens is an extremely flexible fixed focal length 18.5mm (equivalent to a 28mm angle of view in 35mm  format) lens well suited to a variety of scenes, from landscapes and architecture, to snapshots and photos of vacations. It also enables dynamic expression by utilizing the perspective that is only possible with a wide-angle lens. Constructed of seven elements in five groups, it ensures images exhibiting a good balance between high resolution and pleasing blur characteristics throughout the entire frame at maximum aperture, as well as the most commonly used f/5.6.
- Equipped with a DX-format CMOS sensor and the EXPEED 2 image-processing engineDespite being a compact digital camera, the COOLPIX A is equipped with a Nikon DX-format CMOS image sensor, an effective pixel count of 16.2-million pixels, and the EXPEED 2 image-processing engine, both similar to those built into Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras. Having no optical low-pass filter, the superior rendering performance of the camera’s NIKKOR lens makes images exhibiting superior resolution and sharp rendering possible.
The camera supports a broad range of standard sensitivities, from ISO 100 to ISO 6400, as well as additional expansion up to ISO 25600 (Hi 2) for crisp, clear images exhibiting very little noise with shooting at high sensitivities. What’s more, the image-processing engine, developed based on the ideas, know-how, and technologies regarding digital images that Nikon has cultivated over the years enables faster image processing, excellent noise reduction, better color reproduction characteristics, and less power consumption. Support for recording and processing of 14-bit compressed NEF (RAW) images makes reproduction of the finest details and textures, with rich tone expression and broad dynamic range, possible.
- An elegant design of which users will be proud and metals used for a strong, durable bodyMeasuring approximately 110.0 mm wide, 64.3 mm high and 40.3 mm deep, and weighing approximately 299 g*, the COOLPIX A is compact and lightweight enough that it can easily be taken anywhere. Adoption of magnesium alloy for the body enables a design with a metal look and feel, while ensuring strength and durability with a lighter weight. A leather accent on the grip and dials cut from metal ensure an elegant finish with attention to detail, and a dignified body with a sense of authenticity that will be a source of pride to users.
- *Including battery and SD memory card.
- A focus ring for operation that feels like that of a digital SLR camera
Operation and monitor display that make the camera an excellent back-up for a digital SLR cameraThe lens is equipped with a focus ring that allows users to focus in a way that suits their creative intent. It makes fine adjustment of focus, such as focus slightly in front of or behind the primary subject with macro photography, allowing users to enjoy the operational experience similar to that offered by digital SLR cameras. In addition, the camera is equipped with an autofocus with manual override function. Therefore, when the shutter-release button is held down halfway and the focus ring turned while the camera is focusing automatically, manual focus is immediately activated.
The GUI built into the COOLPIX A is inherited from Nikon digital SLR cameras, ensuring smooth transition when it is used as a back-up to a digital SLR camera.
- Full-HD movie recording functionThe combination of NIKKOR lens, a DX-format CMOS image sensor, and the EXPEED 2 image-processing engine enables sharp, high-resolution imaging expression with movie recording as well. What’s more, the COOLPIX A also offers in-camera movie editing functions that allow users to save a single frame as a still JPEG image or delete unnecessary portions from the beginning or end of movie files.
- Support for a variety of new, dedicated accessories, as well as digital SLR camera system accessories, for complete system expansionA number of new accessories have been developed for use with the COOLPIX A. The new Optical Viewfinder DF-CP1 with its high eyepoint, approximately 90% frame coverage, and 0.52x magnification, the Adapter Ring UR-E24 for attaching third-party 46mm filters, and the HN-CP18 metal bayonet lens hood, which can be mounted via the UR-E24 can all be used with the COOLPIX A.
Although the COOLPIX A is equipped with a built-in flash, external Speedlights*1 can also be used. What’s more, the COOLPIX A also supports the GPS Unit GP-1 and Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a*2, both of which increase possibilities of creative imaging expressions as well as ways of enjoying images after they are captured.(all available separately)
- *1SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600, SB-400
- *2The Wireless Mobile Utility app must first be installed on the smart device (the app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device’s app store).
Other COOLPIX A Features
- High-speed continuous shooting at approximately 4 fps
- Normal and Keep warm lighting colors auto white balance options
- Active D-Lighting, which prevents loss of detail in highlights and shadows for images exhibiting brightness similar to that seen with the naked eye when shooting scenes with extremes in both light and dark
- Nikon’s exclusive imaging system, Picture Control, which allows users to choose and adjust the way in which the camera processes photographs according to the type of scene or their own individual preference
- A variety of image editing functions, including Filter Effects, Color Sketch, Selective Color, and Miniature Effect
- Virtual horizon display for visual confirmation that the camera is horizontally and vertically level
- Very bright, 3-in., approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.