Update (12/17 2:45pm): Amazon Lightning Deal! Belkin Charge and Sync Dock with Lightning Cable for $13.65 Prime shipped (Reg. $25).
(Update 5/19 10:30am): The time has come. Apple has randomly announced a new Lightning dock for iPhone 6/Plus. However, you should still take a look at the numerous third party options (below) that have been on the market for years. Many of these options offer more styling and better value compared to Apple’s dock.
If you were one of over 4 million people who preordered an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus this weekend, then you may have noticed that one of Apple’s most popular accessories for previous gen iPhones is curiously absent from its online store. As of right now, Apple seems to be sitting on the sideline and will not be releasing a dock designed for its newest smartphones.
Docks position your iPhone in a way that makes it easier to keep tabs on incoming notifications, all while helping create a clean workspace by wrangling messy cables.
There are already several iPhone 6 and 6 Plus dock solutions. Here are our favorite docks, stands, mounts, and more:
- HiRise height-adjusting cable clips and movable rear support allows HiRise to work with most cases on the market today – especially those with recessed connections that no other dock can fit.
- Having your iPhone 5, iPhone 6, or iPad mini elevated by HiRise means you can Face Time or Skype hands-free.
Twelve South HiRise Deluxe in black, silver, and gold: $59.99 – read about the announcement here
- iPhone 6/6 Plus compatible. Two new Gravitas inserts provide for full support with the both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, including case compatibility with the removable inner liner on each insert.
- Worth its weight. Made of a zinc alloy 265% denser than aluminum and weighing in at 2.5 pounds (1.2 kg), the hefty Gravitas is made to facilitate single-handed docking and undocking.
- Works with iPhone 6, with Apple Leather & Silicone cases!
- Easy, one-handed undocking – guaranteed!
- Beautifully milled from a single solid block aluminum
- Seamless construction
- Backpad flips for thicker cases.
- Constructed of a single piece of solid steel, Dock+ is different from the rest. Featuring one-handed easy lift-off, a premium powder coated surface finish, and compatibility with almost any case on the market, dock+ is the dock, reinvented.
- Each Dock+ is made in Boulder Colorado, at the base of the Rocky mountains.
- Fits all your devices with or without a case.
- Sturdy back support, perfect for all iPhones and iPads.
- Easily adjust the backing to the correct thickness with just a twist. From 0 to 4mm
- Dock and charge your iPhone standing up for a clear view.
- Easy one touch mounting system locks and releases the device with just a push of a finger
- Super sticky gel pad sticks securely to most surfaces (including textured surfaces), yet is still easily removable
- New telescopic arm adds 2 inches to allow for closer device viewing
- Two step locking lever provides additional mounting support for multiple surfaces
The Spool Dock was designed to blur the line between modern home decor and electronic accessories. Crafted in the USA from sustainable North American white oak, merino wool felt and a weighty metal base, Spool Dock is a sophisticated, contemporary charging dock for iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5, 5s, 5c, as well as the iPad mini and 5th generation iPod touch. Unlike most other docks, Spool Dock also functions as a cable manager and allows users to swivel docked devices with the touch of a finger.
Trilogy redefines what an iPhone dock should be. The minimal yet brilliant design can be used as a stand in the vertical position or it can be used in landscape position, prefect for watching movies or bedside mode for an elegant alarm clock. Trilogy also has our built in Sound Projector Amplifier which enhances audio quality when on phone calls, face time, listening to music, or watching your favorite videos.
Crafted from steel, the Grove Dock weighs a heavy 3 lbs. Plug and unplug your phone one-handed and keep your charger cable in its place. Works both with and without a case. The Maple Dock is capped with domestically sourced Eastern Hardrock Maple, hand sanded and finished with a natural oil and wax blend. Compatible with iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
The docks below have not yet been confirmed to work with iPhone 6/6 Plus, but based on their designs they should work.
Update: The Harman Store is offering the JBL OnBeat Lightning Speaker Dock for $15 shipped [direct link] which is $4 less than the price of an Apple Lightning cable – get one quick before they go out of stock! Update (11/30 4:40pm): Lightning Deal via Amazon! Twelve South HiRise Deluxe for $41.99 shipped (Reg. $60). Best price ever. Includes MFi-Certified Lightning and Micro-USB cables.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.