With the popularity of grid controllers on the rise, IK Multimedia has now unveiled the latest addition to its iRig line of recording and DJ gear. iRig Pads is an “ultra-portable” grid-style MIDI controller for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac/PC.
Head below for more on what the “ultimate travel companion for the mobile electronic music producer” has to offer:
Luxury Book iPhone 7 Plus Case
iRig Pads’ main feature is the 4×4 grid of 16 velocity-sensitive and multicolor (red, green, orange) backlit rubber pads. It also features an assortment of other fully assignable MIDI controls including two rotary knobs, two push buttons, one rotary encoder and a fader. It has certainly been designed to be mobile at less than 1-inch thick (23mm) and with no need for a power adapter. It is bus powered via the included USB and Lightning cables (30 pin sold separately).
There are also 2 edit buttons which can be used to recall 16 distinct MIDI maps or “scenes” which essentially integrate the hardware with various apps. There are 6 pre defined scenes available out of the box (including one for SampleTank), but you can essentially create maps for just about any of your favorite iOS and Mac/PC apps like Ableton Live, Logic Pro, Garageband, FL Studio Mobile, iMPC Pro and others.
It comes with access to SampleTank free for iOS, which is IK’s sound workstation app and a free version of SampleTank 3 SE will soon be available for download with 6.5 GB of content and 150 MIDI patterns, among other goodies. iRig Pads can also be used as a remix deck controller in DJ situations and it will soon work hand in hand with the free DJ Rig app for iPad as well as IK’s GrooveMaker 2 for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
iRig Pads is available for preorder now at $149.99 shipped.
Sick of keyboard and grid/pad controllers? Our recent Small States piece features Jamstik the MIDI guitar for your iPad (and Mac) as well as $560 worth of giveaways.
More from IK:
Introducing iRig Pads, a full-featured ultra-portable 16-pad MIDI groove controller for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch as well as Mac and PC.An extremely versatile system, it lets you make beats, launch loops, mix like a DJ and a whole lot more no matter whether you’re on stage, in the studio or anywhere between. It’s the ultimate travel companion for the mobile electronic music producer on the go:
- Ultra-portable MIDI pad controller and groove production station for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch plus Mac and PC
- Extremely small size with a slim form factor that can be taken with you anywhere
- 16-velocity-sensitive backlit rubber pads that light multiple colors depending on velocity and outgoing and incoming MIDI messages
- Two MIDI knobs, two pushbuttons, one slider and a pushbutton rotary encoder, all programmable
- 16 user-programmable MIDI scenes for instant recall of custom MIDI maps
- Features pre-programmed MIDI scenes for SampleTank for iPhone and iPad with more coming soon
- Fully MIDI class-compliant
- Perfect for making beats, cueing loops and Djing
- Lightning connector and USB cable included, 30-pin cable available seperately
- Expression/sustain pedal input
- USB port can supply power when connected to iOS devices for no battery drain