The best part about a new technology is how it develops quickly over a short period of time, we’ve seen it time and time before. LED lightbulbs certainly are not exempt from this, as we’ve seen them go from an unattainable technology to something that consumers are rushing to put in their homes. Home Depot now has a new product from Cree in its stores that takes LED light bulbs to another level.
Starting at $7.97, the new Cree LED lightbulbs feature a shatter-proof plastic design that protects the bulb while strengthening the product for an even longer life. This new layer of protection takes away one of the final drawbacks of traditional lightbulbs (breakability) and creates a LED solution that promises a very long life in your home. Cree also has a new 4Flow design which cools the LEDs via holes at the top of the bulb which creates a convection effect to minimize heat. This new design has allowed Cree to save in the manufacturing process, which has helped lower the price.
These new LED bulbs are dimmable 40 or 60 watt equivalents with an estimated annual cost of $1.32 to operate with an expected life of 22 years. Additionally, each bulb is available in a soft white and daylight design depending on your needs. The new Cree LED lightbulbs include a three year limited warranty, see the full line from Cree here.
While they are cheaper options on the market, such as the $4.49 Ledare bulbs from IKEA, Cree puts this price point squarely in the middle of the consumer LED market. There are more expensive LED bulbs as well from Phillips and others, but ultimately Cree has a great reputation and its new shatter-proof design only builds on what they’ve accomplished.
Specs from Cree.
- Brightness: 815 lumens
- Estimated yearly energy cost: $1.32 (based on 3 hrs/day, 11c/kWh costs depend on rates and use)
- Life: 22.8 years (based on 3 hrs/day)
- Light appearance: 2700K (soft white)
- Energy used: 11 Watt (equivalent to a 60 Watt standard incandescent light bulb)
- Lumens per watt: 74.1
- Contains mercury: no
- Uses 82% less energy compared to a standard incandescent light bulb
- Outdoor lighting application: indoor/outdoor
- Ideal for use in table lamps, sconces, totally enclosed fixtures and other general lighting applications
- E26 base
- Dimmable: yes