SnapPower, the company that started out making a simple-to-install nightlight that clips onto power outlets, is now introducing its solution for your home USB charging needs. The SnapPower Charger is a USB power source in a cover plate that requires no wiring, just a three-step installation anyone should be able to handle…
It sounds like magic, but it’s not. There are two connectors inside the outlet cover that make contact with the outlet screws. The SnapPower faceplate draws power from those screws and feeds it to the USB port. The downside? It only provides 1A of power, so it will take longer to charge power-hungry gadgets like an iPad.
The kickstarter campaign was only hoping to raise $35,000 but it has already surpassed that modest goal. If you back this campaign now, you can get in for $14 each or a 2-pack for $20. It is scheduled to hit stores in August.
If you’re looking for more power and don’t mind the installation, here’s the best selling dual-port socket (3.6A) charger for $25 on Amazon.
SnapPower Charger Overview:
- Powerful 1-amp USB charger built into an outlet cover plate.
- Charges any USB device and eliminates the need for bulky wall warts.
- Installs in seconds over any standard outlet in your home.
- There’s no wiring to mess with, and no batteries to sort out. Just bring a screwdriver and a good attitude.
- For renters, this solution provides convenient wall charging that can be taken with you when you move. If you move out, just pop the old cover back on