The AirPort Express is by far the best wireless router for anyone in the Apple ecosystem and is a great choice for nearly everyone else as well. It’s definitely priced higher than similarly spec’d wireless N routers, but this is a case where paying “Apple tax” is worth it.
Amazon has it on sale for $79 with free shipping, which is $20 below its regular price.
Use it to setup a wireless network from the easy-to-use AirPort iOS app, print wirelessly, or AirPlay music to wired speakers. I’ve had one for years now and can’t remember the last time I had to reboot it. I know this phrase is overused, but it really does “just work,” which can’t be said for many of the headache-inducing budget routers out there.
If you don’t mind going refurbished, Apple sells an AirPort Express for $65 shipped and has the best deals for AirPort Extreme ($129) and Time Capsules (from $199).
- Easy Wi-Fi setup using iPhone, iPad, or Mac: Connect your DSL or cable modem to AirPort Express and create your new wireless network in just a few taps from your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. If you’re using OS X Lion, use the built-in AirPort Utility on your Mac. Setup is just as fast and just as easy.
- Simultaneous dual-band 802.11n: AirPort Express lets Wi-Fi-enabled devices connect to your network on the 2.4GHzand 5GHz wireless bands. Which means every connected device automatically uses the best band available for the fastest possible performance.
- AirPlay takes the music from the iTunes library on your computer or iOS device and sends it wirelessly to any connected stereo or speakers in your home (audio cable sold separately). Play music on one set of speakers – or if you have more than one AirPort Express connected to speakers, play your music from iTunes on all of them at the same time.
- Print wirelessly from any room: On the back of AirPort Express is a USB port that’s made for your printer. Just plug it in and instantly, it’s like having a printer in every room. And since AirPort Express works with Mac and PC, everyone in the house can take advantage of one centrally available printer
- Compatibility and security: AirPort Express is compatible with devices using the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n specifications. So no matter what Wi-Fi device you’re using, it willwork with AirPort Express. AirPort Express also features a built-in firewall to protect your network from malicious Internet attacks.100-240V AC, 50-60Hz. Input current: 0.2 amp
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.