Well, it was bound to happen. Finally every smart home New Toy of the Day has converged into one product. D-Link’s new Komfy Smart Home Device is a combination surveillance camera, light switch, temperature and air quality monitor that pushes out all the usual notifications if something goes awry.
So why is this notable? Honestly, there is some merit to having one product that does it all, as opposed to the mismatch of different brands and mediums for keeping your whole home connected. More details below.
In its simplest state, Komfy is an all-in-one smart home solution. But that would be underselling it. D-Link has designed this product to fit inside a standard 1 or 2-gang light switch. This is a pretty clever move by itself, as one of my personal annoyances is when a product must be in the open but requires a power source, which inevitably leads to a visible cord running wild. I’m looking at you, Nest Cam!
Komfy is able to relay full 1080p HD video from its 130-degree wide angle lens to your device. It has local or cloud recording capabilities to a designated online service or a local microSD card. The built-in sensors keep track of temperature, air quality and humidity. Of course, it’s also a light switch which can control up to two connected devices.
Like other smart home devices, if the camera senses movement or something is amiss it will send a push notification to your iOS device. Komfy connects to your Wi-Fi network without the need for an additional hub or add-on. It comes in either a black or white finish.
If you’re in the market for a simplified smart home solution, Komfy is likely worth your consideration. It handles a myriad of functions that would typically require multiple devices like a Canary, Hue Switch, Nest thermostat and WeMo outlet. However, this convergence of connectivity won’t come cheap. D-Link’s Komfy is available for pre-order today for $299.99. It is expected to ship in December.
More New Toys of the Day:
- GENII’s CAST streaming box skirts copyright rules to beam your content to friends
- Pryme Vessyl skips the 8-cup rule for a user specific iPhone-connected recommendation
- Mass Fidelity tries to solve virtual stereo sound with its new Core wireless speaker
- Pulse brings Bluetooth LE + iOS connectivity to a slew of Canon and Nikon DSLRs
- Roku surprises with a new “special edition” streaming media player at an all-time low price
D-Link Introduces New Komfy Smart Home Device
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Nov. 19, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — D-Link today announced a Smart Home Device under the new Komfy
Most solutions require placing multiple devices throughout the home in order to view a room, control light switches and sense changes in the environment, but Komfy offers additional sensors and alerts so customers can have peace of mind with a single device. The free Komfy app for iOS® devices2 can be used remotely to control lights as well as create on and off schedules and send automatic push notifications to their mobile device to alert users to changes in the room’s temperature, humidity, and air quality. And with IFTTT support, Komfy can be used with other smart devices and apps to create a truly automated home that works for you.
The Komfy Switch with Camera offers a built-in Full HD 1080p camera with a 130 degree wide angle lens for users to check in remotely. The Komfy Switch with Camera incorporates an Ambarella HD camera System-On-Chip (SoC), to provide outstanding video image quality, even in low light conditions. Along with sound and motion alerts, the camera can store unlimited video clips on an 8-day first-in, first-out basis to a personal cloud for free or record locally to a microSD card3 whenever motion is detected. Users can easily view and playback clips from anywhere directly from the Komfy app4.
“Awareness is everything, and with Komfy you’ll always know the status of your home,” said Ken Loyd, director of consumer product marketing, D-Link Systems, Inc. “With a Full HD camera, free cloud recording, and multiple sensors with automatic alerts, you can address a problem before it becomes a disaster, allowing you to feel exactly how you should feel at home, which is safe and secure 24/7.”
More about the Komfy Switch with Camera:
- HD 1080p Video with 130 Degree Wide Angle View – view crisp, clear video with a large field of view
- Local and Cloud Recording – record clips to a private cloud account or save clips to a local microSD card
- Control Lights – easily create on/off schedules for 1 or 2 connected lights or control them remotely from an iOS smartphone or tablet
- Push Notifications – receive alerts when Komfy senses changes in the environment
- Senses Air Quality, Temperature and More – check humidity, air quality and temperature and receive alerts if something changes
- Wi-Fi Connectivity – requires no additional hub or device, works with any Wi-Fi network
- Uses Komfy App – intuitive app for one click management and control from your iOS mobile device
- Two Color Options – choose between a white (DKZ-201S/W) or black (DKZ-201S/D) panel to fit in with your home
Availability and Pricing
The Komfy Switch with Camera is available for pre-order now with shipment in December for $299.99 at D-Link Shop. Detailed specifics are available online at D-Link’s website.
D-Link is the global leader in connectivity for home, small business, mid- to large-sized enterprise environments, and service providers. An award-winning designer, developer, and manufacturer, D-Link implements and supports unified network solutions that integrate capabilities in switching, wireless, broadband, storage, IP Surveillance, and cloud-based network management. For more information visit us.dlink.com, or connect with D-Link on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/dlink) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/dlink) or D-Link’s blog (http://blog.dlink.com/).
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links