Update (2/16 5:20pm): Here are some fresh USB/Jump Starter deals. You must select OXA USA COM (w/ fulfillment by Amazon) as the seller and use coupon code UCSB794Q during checkout. Free shipping is available for Prime members and on orders of $35+.
- DBPOWER 600A Peak 16500mAh Portable Jump Starter: $65 (Reg. $70)
- DBPOWER 400A Peak 12000mAh Portable Jump Starter: $47 (Reg. $55)
- DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Jump Starter: $28 (Reg. $33)
Every few months, a new category of technology products emerge at unthinkable prices. Whether it is because of a new chipset or fresh manufacturing techniques or other inventions, it takes the market by storm. A few years ago it was Bluetooth speakers dropping in price and which are now almost ubiquitous for a few bucks each. Recently, I’ve seen LED desk lamps with USB ports from a few different manufacturers (current favs: Omaker and Anker) drop drastically in price and get USB ports alongside a variety of designs.
Probably the biggest “category buster” going on right now are USB batteries that have been retrofitted with heavy-gauge jumper cables to be able to start cars. It is a great secondary use for a USB product that is already ubiquitous. (Solar is another). Batteries that can jumpstart a car were previously heavy and used dangerous lead acid, with costs hitting over $100.
My favorites in this product category is from Bestek, a company that is also one of my top auto-inverter manufacturers – and probably why they are so good at this.
I’ve been using two of their products for a month in each of my cars. Apply the color-specific promo code to lock in a special discounted price.
- BESTEK 300A Peak Current Car Jump Starter w/ 5600mAh Power Bank: $34.99 (Reg. $40)
- BESTEK 600A Peak Current Portable Car Jump Starter w/ 10,000mAh Power Bank: $54.99 (Reg. $63)
(un)Fortunately, I haven’t had a dead battery situation to test its capability. I did disconnect my car battery and was easily able to start my car (2012 Prius) with each of these batteries – which seems to fit the bill. If you have larger than a 3L engine, you’ll want to opt for the bigger 600A capable battery. Each of these is rated in the double digits in starts but hopefully just one will be enough.
Both chargers will also keep your USB devices charged in an emergency. If you have the extra money, I’d throw down for the larger, rugged battery. The 600A battery has an extra fast USB charging port, is more rugged, will start a much larger car and the LED light (that also comes in handy in an emergency!) is much brighter. The larger model also comes with a very nice carrying case.
But USB Batteries serve a secondary purpose in a car: I keep a battery permanently connected to my car plug which means it is always charged. When I need my phone charged, I simply plug it into the secondary battery. That means that it keeps charging at a 2.1A rate even when the car is off. If I need to, I can grab the battery and take it with me for an power supply.
Like I said before, Bestek isn’t the only player in this game, and this being 9to5toys there are some really good deals on this category below:
- 12000mAh Portable Auto Car Jump Starter Power Bank Battery Charger Booster USB: $33 shipped at eBay
- Everstart Multi-Function Jump Starter with *Bonus* USB Charging Cable: $31-$34 at Walmart
- DIGITAL TREASURES ChargeIT! JumP Portable Jumpstarter and Power Pack: $39.99 (Deal of the Day B & H Photo)
We also spotted a few other notable USB power deals at Amazon that are a great addition to any car, backpack or on-the-go setup.
- KMASHI 11,200mAh Power Bank: $8 w/ code FVSA9NY2 (Reg. $16)
- ALLPOWERS 4-port USB Hub: $7 w/ code T63EJ5OZ (Reg. $13)
- Veepeak 48W USB Car Charger: $8 (Reg. $15)
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.