Dali Speakers, a Denmark-based audio company, has announced a new portable Bluetooth system with big-time style. At first glance, you’d think it was out of Bang & Olufsen’s lab. The Dali Katch loudspeaker promises “incredibly rich sound” from a compact design in its first battery-operated consumer product. More below.
DALI is perhaps best known for its high-end loudspeakers but now the brand is prepared to enter the competitive world of consumer audio. The Katch Portable Speaker is made from extruded aluminum that gives it a stunning outward appearance. A leather strap highlights the design alongside buffed accents. The speaker uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect to your device and offers support for the apt-X codec for higher quality audio transmission. There is also a 3.5mm input and a USB charging port on the side.
One of the more notable highlights of this speaker is its built-in 24-hour battery. That’s a significant jump from other products over big names like Bose and JBL. All day battery life is just starting to pop-up on new releases as the quality of power supplies continue to improve.
Beneath the aluminum exterior are two 18W Class-D amplifiers that drive 21mm soft-dome tweeters and dual 3.5-inch woofers made of aluminum. DALI has aimed each of these out the back and front to create a 360-degree field of sound. There are two sound profiles built-in to the speaker: clear is “perfect for most listening situations” while warm is a more saturated sound with extra bass.
The Dali Katch speaker is set to retail for $430 in three colors when it ships in October.
More New Toy of the Day:
- Whyd’s new voice-controlled AirPlay speaker might be the most intriguing audio release this year
- The PadBot T1 follows you around during FaceTime like something straight out of the Jetsons
- This Kickstarter project will charge your iPhone with water
- The new Jabra Special Edition Sport Earbuds can track your repetitions at the gym
- With a collapsible design and Bosch engine, this upcoming eBike has looks and power to match