One of Apple’s most beloved features of its MacBooks is its proprietary magnetic charging cable known as MagSafe. That, however, was removed on the 2015 and 2016 12-inch MacBook models in place of a single USB-C port. The good news is you can add back a magnetic charging connector by using Griffin’s BreakSafe cable adapter for USB-C, currently on sale (review). Today the product goes to its lowest price yet, with a 50% discount on the usual retail price bringing it down to just $20 shipped.
Amazon has the Griffin BreakSafe for 50% off ($20 shipped) for Prime members or orders over $50.
One of the big benefits of having a magnetic connector is the safety factor. Rather than tripping over your charging cable and dragging your MacBook and half of your desk down with you, the magnetic connection will disconnect and break free from your MacBook, minimizing damage to the cable and your computer in the process. The BreakSafe adapter from Griffin also brings the MagSafe-like functionality to other USB-C devices like the Google Chromebook Pixel and Pixel C.
While the future of Apple’s MagSafe doesn’t look bright, we’ll have products like Griffin’s BreakSafe to hold us over until Apple (hopefully) reintroduces it in one form or another.
Get the Griffin BreakSafe for 50% off ($20 shipped) for Prime members or orders over $50.
Or get it direct from Griffin for $20 + shipping with promo code “BREAKHALFOFF”. The deal will last until July 13th and is limited to 2 per customer.
- Safely disconnects from your computer when under stress or strain
- Compatible with Apple’s MacBook (12″) and other devices that charge via USB-C
- Length: 6 ft. (1.8 m)
- In the box: BreakSafe USB-C cable with quick disconnect magnetic connector
- Designed and tested to meet USB-C power standards
- Rated up to 60 watts (20 volts at 3 amps) power
- Data and video are not supported
- US Patent No. US7658613B1
- Warranty: Guaranteed for Life
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links