The Native Instruments line of Maschine beat production products marry hardware controllers with rich software instruments, loops and effects to create an all-in-one music making suite. The hardware controllers range from the $349 Maschine Mikro up to the $999 Studio model, but Native Instruments also makes a stripped down, yet still very powerful version of its Maschine platform for iOS. Regularly priced at $4.99, iMaschine for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is available as a free download inside of the (also free) Apple Store iPhone/iPod touch app.
Simply download the free Apple Store app and boot it up. Hit the “Store” tab along the bottom and scroll all the way down to the iMaschine icon, then tap on download now for free.
While you certainly won’t find all of the features in iMaschine you’ll have at your disposal in its full fledged counterparts, we are still talking about a very wide range of possibilities here. There are 16 pads for rhythm programming, as well as a keyboard for melodic parts and sampling possibilities from your device’s mic or your iTunes library. It supports the purchase of additional sound packs via in-app purchases much the same as the Maschine hardware, but it does come packed with 100MB of content including 10 projects, 25 kits, and over 400 samples.
You’ll find more features along with quick demo video of musician Jamie Lidell putting this thing to the test below:
Complete feature list:
- 16 pads for real-time groove production on your iOS device
- – Included library features 100 MB of content: 10 projects, 25 kits, and over 400 samples
- – Additional ‘Quantum Collection’ sound pack derived from MASCHINE 2 Library adds 20 kits, 10 projects, 15 instruments, and over 400 samples to iMASCHINE’s library (email registration required)
- – Sample directly from your iTunes library
- – Record your own one-shot samples through the integrated microphone on your iOS device
- – Keyboard mode for playing chords, bass, and melodies
- – Note repeat with 1/4 note to 1/32 note range for keyboard and drum pad mode
- – Audio recorder lets you record vocals, field recordings or any audio from your iOS device’s microphone
- – Assign any of the 4 groups to any mode, e.g. for use as a 4-track recorder
- – Mixer page with XY performance pads includes two send effects per group: delay, flanger, chorus, and various filters
- – Live-mode sequencer automatically detects recorded loop length
- – Import your own 44.1 kHz 16-bit .WAV samples via iTunes
- – Huge collections of additional drum kits and instrument sounds called iMASCHINE Expansions available through in-app store
- – Export your mix as an audio file or directly upload it to SoundCloud
- – Export your project (including samples) to MASCHINE STUDIO, MASCHINE, and MASCHINE MIKRO
- – Universal Binary. Purchase the app and iMASCHINE Expansions once and use them on all devices connected with that iTunes account
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links