Gameloft has now unleashed its latest mobile racing title on the App Store and Google Play. Available now as a free-to-play download, Asphalt Overdrive is the latest iteration of the company’s ongoing mobile racing series, this time taking an 80’s inspired aesthetic into the lane based racing genre.
Head below for more details and some brief gameplay footage:
Unlike typical racing games on iOS and Android, there is no steering wheel or on screen controls, but rather a swipe motion is used to switch between pre determined lanes. By some this may sound a bit too casual, but most reviews and reports are coming back positive.
Players will be going on 7 different mission types that will have them fleeing from cops, performing various stunts, defeating bosses and avoiding obstacles in a subtly retro “new ’80s” California. There is in game currency to be earned for upgrading cars and unlocking new ones, including both fictional and fully licensed rides like “the iconic Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari Testarossa!”
Like just about all of Gameloft’s mobile titles you’ll find basic multiplayer with timed and weekly events, along with a host of in-app purchases to speed your progress along in the freemium title. Again, most early accounts say the game is not dependent in IAPs and is generally forgiving enough to progress without them. While still too early to tell, Overdrive will likely score well among gamers judging by the amazing reviews previous Gameloft Asphalt titles have:
If you haven’t played the previous versions, both Asphalt 8: Airborne and Asphalt 7: Heat have received 4+ star ratings from tens of thousands of reviewers. You’ll find more game deals in our daily roundups across all platforms.
More on Overdrive from Gameloft:
*** ASPHALT SHIFTS INTO OVERDRIVE! ***
Discover the award-winning Asphalt series’ first spinoff with Asphalt Overdrive, an intense experience packed to go! Outrun the cops in an exciting game set in a “new ’80s” version of California.
AN ORIGINAL MISSION-BASED DRIVING GAME
– Unlock and drive 30 high-performance, fully licensed vehicles such as the iconic Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari Testarossa!
– Improve and upgrade your cars to dominate the city streets
– Challenge yourself in 7 different mission types: Escape the cops, defeat bosses, avoid obstacles, perform impressive stunts, and more!
A UNIQUE STYLE
– Drive across the gorgeous highways of Southern California
– Enjoy a subtly retro “new ’80s” atmosphere
– Stunning visuals thanks to real-time lighting and particle effects
CHALLENGE THE WORLD
– Connect to Facebook or Game Center to play with or against your friends
– Join a gang to team up with other players and achieve weekly objectives
– Track your progress and show off your skills as you advance in League championships
– Compete in limited-time, Gang, and League events as you battle to the top of the leaderboards!
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.