Welcome to Black Friday season! Yes, what once was limited to a single day or a long weekend has become an all-out event that kicks off at the end of October and lasts throughout November. In addition to deep discounts, online shoppers will also be seeking stores that offer fast and free delivery. After the jump, we’ll be taking a look at which retailers will be providing free shipping plus other delivery perks throughout this busy shopping time.
The Major Players
Update 11/5 @ 8:30 AM: Now for the holidays, Amazon will offer free shipping for everyone. You can read more about it in our announcement coverage.
Amazon: It pays to be a Prime member
If you have Amazon Prime, you can enjoy free 2-day shipping on any order fulfilled by Amazon, all year round. Prime membership is $119 per year, and includes loads of other amenities, such as access to Prime Video streaming and Whole Foods discounts.
If you merely want to utilize Prime for its shipping benefit throughout Black Friday, sign up for a free 30-day trial instead. (Remember to cancel before your month is up to avoid being billed at the full yearly rate.)
Meanwhile, if you don’t have Prime, you can still score free standard shipping on orders over $25. Bear in mind that this delivery method can take 4 to 5 business days, which may not be the best option if you’re on a tight deadline.
Many third-party sellers that are not fulfilled by Amazon also offer free shipping but delivery times can widely vary, especially if the product is being sent from overseas.
Target: Going all-in for Black Friday with free 2-day shipping on everything
Prior to this, only REDCard members could avail of this option, while non-cardholders had to spend at least $35 to enjoy fast-and-free delivery.
In-store pickup and Target Drive Up are other cost-free ways to get products in your hands as soon as possible, but unless you absolutely can’t wait, sit back and enjoy your free 2-day shipping.
Best Buy: Another retailer offering free shipping sitewide for Black Friday
Not to be totally outdone, Best Buy is providing free shipping on all items sitewide from now through December 25. Typically, a minimum spend of $35 is required to receive a shipping discount there. However, delivery times will vary by item or even location. Some areas are fortunate enough to be eligible for same-day delivery.
If you need your item sooner rather than later, you can also opt for in-store pickup, free of charge.
Walmart: Sticking with its free 2-day shipping on $35+
As it stands, Walmart isn’t doing anything new for Black Friday as far as delivery discounts are concerned. It’s sticking to a promotion that’s been in effect since January 2017.
At Walmart, orders of $35 or more qualify for free 2-day shipping. Fortunately, “millions of items” are now eligible, including those from third-parties in its Walmart Marketplace. (Items will be marked as such on the product page.) All remaining products will instead receive 3 to 5 day shipping.
If you don’t plan on spending that much and live close to a Walmart retail location, you can side step delivery fees by choosing in-store pickup. However, select items may not be in stock at your desired store and will have to be shipped there before you can pick up. That typically takes 3 to 5 business days.
Current free shipping policies from other stores
Updated 11/9 @ 10 am:
- eBay: Free shipping on a wide range of items, as marked
- Rakuten: Free shipping on nearly all items, as marked
- Sam’s Club: Free shipping sitewide w/ Plus ($100/year) or on select items, as marked
- Costco: Free shipping on select items as marked
- Kohl’s: Free shipping w/ $75+ or opt for free pickup
- Macy’s: Free shipping w/ $99+ or any beauty product; free pickup where available
- Woot: Free 2-day shipping on all items for Prime members
- Apple: Free 2-day shipping on most items or free next-day delivery for in-stock iPhones
- B&H: Free expedited shipping w/ $49 or free shipping on select items, as marked
- T-Mobile: Free shipping on devices or opt for free pickup
- Verizon: Free shipping on most items as marked or opt for free pickup
- Sprint: Free shipping on all orders or opt for free pickup
- Newegg: Free shipping on most items as marked or expedited shipping w/ Premier (from $4/mo. for 1 year)
- Home Depot: Free 2-day shipping w/ $45 or on select items as marked; free pickup where available
- Lowe’s: Free parcel shipping sitewide w/ MyLowes (free to join) or opt for free pickup
- LEGO: Free shipping w/ $35
- GameStop: Free shipping w/ $50+ or opt for free pickup
- Staples: Free next-day shipping sitewide via Plus ($49/year) or free next-day shipping w/ $50 via Rewards (free to join)
- Barnes & Noble: Free express shipping for BN Members ($25/year), free shipping for all w/ $25+, or opt for free pickup
- Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic: Free shipping on orders of $50+
- Nordstrom: Free shipping sitewide
- Nordstrom Rack: Free shipping w/ $100+
- Saks Fifth Avenue: Free shipping sitewide via code FREESHIP
- Sephora: Free shipping w/ $50+ or free 2-day shipping no min. via Flash ($15/year)
- Ulta: Free shipping w/ $35+ or opt for free pickup
- 6PM: Free shipping w/ $50
- Microsoft Store: Free shipping on all orders
- Bloomingdale’s: Free shipping for Loyallists (free to join)
- Samsung: Free 2-day shipping sitewide (ends 12/19)
- Cabela’s & Bass Pro Shops: Free 2-day shipping (From 11/10 to 12/24)
- Ralph Lauren: Free shipping on all orders (ends 12/20)
You can also look to ShopRunner to unlock free 2-day shipping at over 100 retailers, including Newegg, Staples, Adorama, American Eagle, and many more . A 1-year membership costs $79, but if you have a PayPal account you can enjoy one year of ShopRunner for free. Better yet, American Express cardholders can receive a complimentary membership for as long as they maintain an AmEx card.
As we get closer to Black Friday, chances are high we’ll see some additional shipping discounts from the likes of Kohl’s, Macy’s, and others. Keep an eye on this space, as well as 9to5Toys at large, as we’ll be updating with any new shipping discounts as soon as they’re available.
Black Friday at 9to5Toys
As always, we’ll have all of this year’s best Black Friday deals, news and ad leaks right here at 9to5Toys. If you’re not yet, be sure to lock that in.
We also have a new 9to5Toys iOS app that’s now available for FREE. Customizable alerts, Apple Watch compatibility and more ensure that you’ll be up to date on all of the best deals throughout the holiday shopping season.