Amazon offers the Netgear ReadyNAS RN212 2-Bay NAS for $159.99 shipped. Also available at Crutchfield. That’s good for a $40 discount from the going rate and a new all-time low at Amazon. Netgear’s ReadyNAS features a max storage capacity of 12TB, 2GB of RAM, and up to 200MBps transfer speeds. It’s a great way to upgrade your home media server from a few external hard drives to a more dedicated solution. Note: Shipping is delayed for two days, but you’ll still be able to lock in the discounted price. Rated 4/5 stars.
If you don’t already have storage to get your NAS started, Amazon has 6TB hard drives starting at around $150. Our personal preference would be to fill the NAS with two of WD’s 6TB Red drives, as they’re made specifically for use in permanent storage solutions.
Netgear ReadyNAS RN212 2-Bay NAS features:
- Quad core Cortex A15 1.4GHz processor with 2GB of RAM and up to 200MB/s read and 160MB/s write speeds – 2.5” or 3.5” SATA/SSD drives supported (Maximum storage of 16TB)
- Powerful desktop app for complete file syncing and automatic backup.Full HD 1080p wire speed streaming and transcoding and Near-0 loss throughput anti-virus built-in
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet – Up to 2x throughput in Link Aggregation mode and advanced BTRFS file system that delivers 5 levels of complete data protection
- Ready CLOUD portal-based user interface and app on PC, Mac, smartphones and tablets make building a private cloud easy and secure
- Play Plex on ReadNAS – Please visit bit.ly/ReadyNAS-Plex-Setup for setup instructions