Autodesk has released a new Mac version of its image editing app Pixlr today, while its popular SketchBook Mobile for Android goes free. SketchBook Mobile is a “professional-grade painting and drawing application” with 65 preset brushes and a wide range of customizable workflows. It has received excellent ratings from thousands of reviewers on both iOS and Android.
While still offering in depth editing for more professional users, Pixlr is designed to to make it easy “to transform everyday images into stunning works of art.” It features all of the same basic editing capabilities you’re used to along with an interesting double exposure effect and the handy Color Splash brush for injecting (or removing) color into particular aspects of an image. You’ll find over 100 effects, 340 overlays, 200 borders and more, but only a certain portion of the feature set is available for free:
Autodesk Pixlr for Mac is available using the same membership program implemented into the developer’s popular Sketchbook app. There are two free packages: The Starter membership which offers basic editing along with access to a wide variety of different effects, and the Essentials membership which offers a more advanced tool set but requires the creation of a free user account.
Lastly, the Pro plan will net you everything there is to offer including additional features like Influence Masks to which make it easy to pinpoint and enhance certain elements of an image for editing purposes. The Pro memberships will run you $1.99 a month or $14.99 for the full year. Full feature list below:
• Powerful features in a simple and easy-to-use interface.
• Apply quick fixes to your photos with features such as crop, straighten, resize, and more.
• Auto fix feature balances out colors and adjusts for poor lighting conditions in a simple one-click fix.
• Easily modify different elements of your photo and adjust its color, contrast, resolution, and texture.
• Merge two images with the Double Exposure tool.
• Erase imperfections with heal and red-eye tools.
• Make your photos pop by adding or removing color from select parts of your photo with the Color Splash brush.
• Add impact to your photos by adding focus to specific elements of your image with the Focal Blur tool.
• Add your personal style to photos with over 100 effects, 340 overlays, and 200 borders. Adjust transparency, resize, and rotate each element to create the perfect touch.
• Transform your photos into works of art with the Stylize feature – choose from effects such as pencil sketch, watercolor, and many more.
Advanced features available for Pixlr Pro members:
• Influence Masks make it easy to enhance specific elements of your photo. Pro members can create up to 5 different Influence Masks and have advanced masking controls such as:
– Select the area you want to enhance with the Brush Masking tool or select by color, marquee, or object.
– Control how effects are displayed with gradients.
– Make your photo speak for itself – shape your photo into letters or words with type masking.
• Advanced Double Exposure tools to adjust transparency and blend images with 11 different blend modes.