Seagate has entered the high capacity storage arms race today with its 8TB Archive 3.5-inch internal hard drive. What has previously cost nearly $1,000 can now be had in a TB matching package for $270 or roughly $.03 per gigabyte. Seagate is pushing down what was a nearly unreachable price point for consumers into a market where some backup options don’t get you nearly the storage for the money.
The Seagate Archive internal hard drive line will also be available in 6 and 5TB sizes as well, these drives are “engineered for 24×7 workloads of 180TB per year” and offer SATA performance of up to 6GB/s. While the average user may not have the need for a huge storage option like this, when utilizing partions into small chunks this would make a great backup option for multiple computer homes or small businesses.
If this of interest to you for your home or business setup, we recommend checking out an external inclosure for these types of drives that makes it more flexible solution to your storage. The Seagate Archive line of products will be available in January of 2015.
Head below for full specs from Seagate…
Supersized capacity, energy efficiency and lowest TCO
- Seagate brings over 30 years of trusted storage reliability to the growing need for online long-term storage.
- Industry’s best cost/GB/watt 8TB hard drive
- Engineered for 24×7 workloads of 180TB per year
- Drive down costs with up to 1.33TB-per-disk hard drive technology.
- SATA 6Gb/s interface optimizes burst performance
- Seagate AcuTracTM servo technology delivers dependable performance.
- Free Seagate DiskWizardTM software allows you to install 5TB, 6TB and 8TB hard drives in Windows without UEFI BIOS.
- Seagate SecureTM models provide hardware-based data security and deliver an Instant Secure Erase feature for safe, fast and easy drive retirement.1
- Seagate Secure models meet the NIST 800-88 media sanitization specification and also support the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) standards.1Best-Fit Applications2
- Cost-effective online archiving
- Object storage
- Big Data cold storage
- Cloud active archive
- Web-scale archiving
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.