After first being announced back in March, we’re finally getting a full picture of Samsung’s new SmartThings Hub that doubles as a mesh wireless router. The Connect Home will be available exclusively at Best Buy on Sunday in single and three-packs. There will also be a Pro model.
With the ever-expanding smart home accessory market bigger than ever, it’s no surprise that Samsung is leveraging its SmartThings line in its newest release. However, like any IoT product, you’ll have to decide if you want to lock yourself in further with one proprietary system or not…
First and foremost, Samsung Connect Home is a wireless mesh network. This type of multi-pronged approach to blanketing your home with wireless has become increasingly popular in the last few years. Google, NETGEAR, Linksys and others have all introduced new routers recently that take advantage of this technology. Samsung uses the same puck-style design that we’ve seen from other brands in the mesh network category.
Each Samsung Connect unit will provide around 1,500 square feet of coverage, with the ability to bridge five together for over 7,000 square feet if needed. The aforementioned Pro model offers greater support for higher bandwidth homes that have multiple devices, or consume high definition content. Users can count on speeds up to 400Mbps on the entry-level model or up to 800Mbps on the high-end Connect.
Samsung will offer a single unit for $170 or a three-pack at $380. The Pro version will come in at $250 per unit. That’s about $100 more than the regular going rate of Google’s Wi-Fi system, and right in the middle of the pack overall.
The added value for SmartThings enthusiasts is the bundled in hub. After Samsung bought the smart home brand a few years back, we have waited patiently to see how the two companies would merge. This is the first true mash-up that takes Samsung’s acquired technology and applies it in a new way. For comparison, the 2nd generation hub sells for between $80 and $100.
Samsung Connect Home will offer all of the usual security features that promises to keep nosey eyes out of your network. The entire system will be managed via a free iOS and Android smartphone app that will allow users to manually control settings for individual devices on the network.
As we mentioned off the top, Samsung will roll out its new Connect Home Mesh Router system on Sunday at Best Buy exclusively. You can shop the entire selection of SmartThings-compatible gear here.
Samsung Embarks on New Era of Whole Home Automation with the Launch of Samsung Connect Home Smart Wi-Fi System
RIDGEFIELD PARK, N.J. – JUNE 1, 2017 – Samsung Electronics America, Inc. today announced Samsung Connect Home will be available exclusively for pre-order on BestBuy.com starting June 4. Samsung Connect Home is the industry’s first Smart Wi-Fi System to combine fast, reliable Wi-Fi coverage for every room in a home with Samsung’s industry-leading smart home platform, Samsung SmartThings.
The Samsung Connect Home Smart Wi-Fi System is available as a three-pack or single. Ideal for homes up to 4,500 square feet, the three-pack has an MSRP of $379.99. A single Connect Home is for homes up to 1,500 square feet and has an MSRP of $169.99. For homes with high bandwidth demands for gaming, streaming or home offices, a single Samsung Connect Home Pro is available at an MSRP of $249.99. A consumer can connect up to five Samsung Connect Home devices at once.
“Today’s smart homes have the power to deliver simple and efficient automation, but as families stream more content and buy more connected devices, it’s a struggle to get fast, reliable and extendable Wi-Fi coverage,” said Bill Lee, Vice President, Smart Home Product Marketing, Samsung Electronics America. “With Samsung Connect Home, we’re redefining the whole home network to finally offer families a simple solution that expands Wi-Fi coverage throughout the home while offering the ability to monitor, automate and control smart devices using Samsung SmartThings. All of this with just a few taps on a smartphone.”
Samsung Connect Home Features
- Works As A SmartThings Hub – Samsung Connect Home is the only whole-home Wi-Fi system that works as a SmartThings Hub, making it compatible with hundreds of Works With SmartThings devices. With no monthly fees or subscriptions, Samsung SmartThings makes it easy to automate and manage your smart home, and gives you the flexibility to expand your smart home with lights, door locks, cameras, voice assistants, thermostats and more.
- Expandable mesh Wi-Fi network – Samsung Connect Home is easily expandable. Each router has a range of 1,500 square feet, and users can wirelessly connect up to five Samsung Connect Home devices for mesh network coverage of 7,500 square feet.
- Safe & secure – Consumers can rest easy knowing that Samsung Connect Home is protected by hardware-based security technologies. Automatic firmware updates provide additional safeguards to keep smart devices secure.
- Simple setup and unified management – Samsung Connect Home can be set up with easy-to-follow instructions using the Samsung Connect app. The app will guide placement of each Samsung Connect Home device throughout a home for optimal performance. Samsung Connect simplifies smart device management with automatic connectivity, convenient device integration and easy set-up. Using Samsung Connect, users can easily see and manage connected devices, set parental controls and allow guest access.
- Compact design – Samsung Connect Home replaces larger, antenna-laden routers with a simple, sleek and compact design that can be placed anywhere and everywhere in the home, even in plain sight.
“As we work with customers in stores and in their homes, we know how important it is to have fast, secure and reliable whole-home Wi-Fi, especially with more smart devices now connecting to the web,” said Mary Ortizcazarin, Vice President of Smart Home at Best Buy. “Samsung’s Connect Home Smart Wi-Fi System accomplishes this with strong Wi-Fi access in every corner of the home, and as a hub for the rest of your smart home.”
Samsung Connect Home will be available for purchase on July 2 at Best Buy stores and BestBuy.com.