It may still be October, but Black Friday is getting closer and closer. We’ve already seen plenty of retailers get in on the action to excite shoppers before November 23rd rolls around. And as always, we’re expecting toys will be one of the stars of this year’s shopping event. Following Amazon and Target’s lead, eBay has now shared what it thinks this year’s top 50 toys will be.
With the typical top contenders of LEGO and Nerf, this year’s standings are also filled with plenty of newcomers. Head below to get a look at the full list.
eBay Top 50 Toys List for 2018
One of the bigger pre-Black Friday trends is predicting what the holiday season’s biggest toys. This morning eBay is joining the list of retailers to offer its insight on the matter with its own list of top 50 toys. As always seems to be the case, big names like LEGO, Barbie, Air Hogs and Nerf are popular once again. But there’s a fair share of new arrivals from L.O.L Surprise!, WowWee and more. Hatchimals were one of the biggest items last year, and it seems as though that popularity has returned for round two in 2018.
Alongside its holiday predictions, eBay has also launched a new storefront called Toytopia in hopes of being a one-stop-shop for parents looking to cross every item off of their children’s lists. eBay specifically highlights that its toy-focused page will not only have this year’s newest releases, but also “impossible-to-find” toys and classics as well.
L.O.L. Surprise! tops the eBay Top 50 Toys List
In what is a pretty unexpected turn, L.O.L. Surprise! is eBay’s top pick for toy of 2018. In a similar fashion to trading card booster packs or in-game loot boxes, L.O.L. Surprise! toys are collectable mini baby dolls that come in blind packaging. eBay notes that these are only getting more popular as more than 148,000 L.O.L. Surprise! toys were sold by the retailer in the past six months. Given the overall success of blind bag collectables, it is no wonder these are at the top of this year’s list.
You’ll also find some less surprising items on the list like this new LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Great Hall kit. At $100 and over 900 pieces, it sits right at sweet spot that makes it eye-catching for young LEGO builders but also more affordable for parents than higher-end sets like the Kessel Run Millennium Falcon. Nerf’s latest blasters make the cut as well amongst other inclusions like Funko POP, Hot Wheels kits and more.
eBay Black Friday
You’ll be able to shop for many of this year’s hottest toys come Black Friday at eBay. The online retailer has plenty of perks like a 110% price match guarantee, free shipping and more. Make sure you’re ready to go for the year’s largest shopping event and check out out how-to prepare guide for tips, hours and more.
Black Friday 2018 at 9to5Toys
All of our best Black Friday deals, news and ad leaks will all be compiled in one handy place here at 9toToys. There are a few other ways to stay caught up on the deals as well. Be sure to give us a follow on Twitter, or iPhone users can download our free iOS app. Customizable alerts? You bet. Apple Watch support? Of course! There’s no better way to stay caught up on this holiday season’s best deals.
eBay’s Experts Predict the Top 50 Toys and Trends That Will Make This Season Merry
Shop toys that are happening this holiday on eBay’s Toytopia, the ultimate destination for every kid’s wish list
San Jose, Calif. (Oct. 24, 2018) – Today, eBay, the world’s most dynamic marketplace, reveals the definitive list of top toys and trends for the holiday season. From Fortnite Monopoly to FurReal Munchin’ Rex and everything in between, eBay’s 2018 predictions feature the season’s hottest picks based on the platform’s trending toy data1 and selected by eBay’s team of toy experts.
eBay is also introducing Toytopia, the ultimate destination for every child’s wish list. With millions of toys – from the new and impossible-to-find, to classics for kids of all ages – eBay is home to an unrivaled selection across action figures, dolls, STEM toys, family games, trains and more.
“We’ve studied our recent data and industry trends to determine the top toys for this holiday season to help shoppers find the perfect gift for every child’s wish list,” said Michael Mosser, eBay’s General Manager of Lifestyle, Media and Toys. “The top 50 most in-demand toys span trends and categories from surprise dolls, action figures, building toys and furry friends, with some standout newcomers stealing the show as instant hits for the season.”
eBay’s Top Eight Toy Trends:
From collectible surprises to toys with a “gross-out factor,” eBay’s top eight trends for the holiday season include:
- Surprise Matters: Tiny collectible toys that surprise will be giant hits this season. From L.O.L. Biggie Pet Figures, to L.O.L. Surprise! Bigger Surprise, to the ultimate wish list item, L.O.L. Surprise House with 85+ Surprises, excitement around L.O.L. Surprise! dolls are on the rise. In fact, more than 148K L.O.L. Surprise! toys were sold on eBay in the past six months. And Hatchimals are currently one of the top-15 most popular toys in sales, with Hatchimals CollEGGtibles leading in popularity and this year’s latest innovation, HatchiBabies already buzzing. Don’t forget to watch out for standout newcomers this year. Between personality-packed Feisty Pets, loveable Lil’ Gleemerz, Scruff-a-Luvs and Party Popteenies (little dolls inside of confetti poppers), these tiny toys will result in huge smiles on kids’ faces.
- Furry Friends: Everyone wants to nurture a new pet or collect a whole litter. eBay’s favorites include Crate Creatures, FurReal Ricky, WowWee Fingerlings Hugs Bella, Pomsies, WowWee Fingerlings Untamed Raptors, and Crayola Scribble Scrubbies Color & Wash Collectible Toy Pets.
- Disgustingly Awesome: Pimples, poops, farts and slime – this year’s toys get silly, gross and sometimes smelly – literally. New games and toys like Don’t Step In It! and WowWee’s What’s that Smell? will keep everyone laughing throughout the holiday season. Slime and squishy sequins are also topping lists – new toys like the Poopsie Surprise Unicorn that magically oozes slime or fun sequin color reveals with Shimmeez are hot wish list items.
- Comeback Kids: Remember Polly Pocket, My Little Pony and Nerf Guns? This year nostalgic toys are coming back for a new generation of kids to enjoy with their parents. First launched in the 1980’s, both Polly Pocket and My Little Pony got a reboot this year as seen in the Polly Pocket 2018 Compacts and the My Little Pony Ultimate Equestria Collection. Additionally, Nerf upped its ante with the Nerf Prometheus Blaster, featuring increased precision and firepower, while LEGO contains to top kids’ wish lists with LEGO Mindstorm proving to be a holiday favorite for the season.
- Tech It Out: Toys keep getting smarter and more high-tech. Gifts predicted to shake things up include the Air Hog Supernova flying orb, FurReal Munchin Rex and Baby Alive Super Snacks Snackin’ dolls. Additionally, the PlayStation Mini, set for release in early December, is already topping predictions for best-selling items this holiday season.
- Action Packed: Beloved book, comic, movie characters and superheroes take toy form in one of the season’s top trends, as seen in Marvel’s Spider-Man Collector’s Edition PlayStation 4. Following the release earlier this fall, Marvel’s Spider-Man video game and limited-edition PS4 Pro bundle generated an 89% increase in PS4 sales. For those that prefer magic over Marvel, 20 years after the legendary children’s book American debut, Harry Potter still tops wish lists. The LEGO Harry Potter Hogwarts Great Hall is already one of the most popular items for the season. Other top gift picks this year include everything from Transformers Energon Igniters Nitro Series Bumblebee to pocket-sized Aquaman and Fortnite Funko Pops.
- Never Board: Fornite Monopoly gives a modern twist to an iconic classic, and new games like Pie Face Cannon Game and Soggy Doggy top this year’s wish lists. Rounding out the games for group play? Gift Magic: The Gathering – Game Night Trading Set and Catan: Settlers of Catan Board Game.
- Unplugged Fun: Toys that encourage imagination, creativity or to simply to get outdoors round out the list of trends. Get creative juices flowing with gifts like the KidKraft Storybook Mansion, the Cool Maker KumiKreator Friendship Bracelet Maker, the Wonder Workshop Dash Robot or the Fisher Price Think & Learn Rocktopus. These toys will keep kids engaged and using their brains – even during the holiday break. Get kids moving and grooving in style with bikes, scooters and cars. eBay’s top picks include the Razor E175 Motorized 24V Kids Scooter, the Pocket Bike 40cc 4-Stroke Engine and the Black 6V Bentley Kids Ride-On Car.
The 50 Hottest Toys of the Season:
With a selection that only eBay’s marketplace can deliver, shoppers can find in-demand holiday toys and gifts at eBay.com/toytopia all season long.
eBay By the Numbers
- eBay has 1 billion plus listings
- eBay has 175 million active buyers worldwide
- 71% of items ship for free in U.S., UK and DE
- 2/3 of eBay packages in the U.S. are delivered within three business days or less
- 81% of all merchandise sold on eBay is new, and our wide selection keeps growing
- 89% of items sold on eBay are Buy It Now – no bidding necessary
- 63% of the eBay platform involves a mobile touchpoint
- 414 million downloads of eBay Inc. apps across the globe
eBay Inc. (NASDAQ:EBAY) is a global commerce leader including the Marketplace, StubHub and Classifieds platforms. Collectively, we connect millions of buyers and sellers around the world, empowering people and creating opportunity through Connected Commerce. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay is one of the world’s largest and most vibrant marketplaces for discovering great value and unique selection. In 2017, eBay enabled $88.4 billion of gross merchandise volume. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.
Toy sales from eBay.com from March through September 2018
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links