Nintendo kept a few announcements for after its main E3 showcase, believe it or not. And this was a good one. We saw what might be the shortest teaser trailer in the history of gaming (really more just an image with some text and an all black background in the from a video) for Metroid Prime 4 during the show. But we don’t know much outside of the fact that it is in development and is still a long ways out. Nonetheless, this is great news for long-time fans of the series and newcomers alike. But you won’t have to wait all that long for a brand new Metroid game it turns out. Nintendo announced another one today that is dropping in 2017…
The new (kind of) Metroid: Samus Returns will release for the 3DS with what appears to be a very classic 2D-Metroid formula. Which is exactly what fans have been asking for. Developed by Mercury Steam of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow fame, this is not some stripped down mini game or an off-shoot with the franchise’s title plastered across it either. It is a complete side-scrolling Metroid experience that is essentially a reimagining of the Game Boy title Metroid 2: Return of Samus. But things will be looking and working much better than the original 1991 release. In fact, Mercury Steam appears to have completely overhauled the experience from scratch.
As the title suggests, player will take on the role of Samus with a series of new abilities weapons and navigation skills. There is a new melee counterattack that leaves enemies wide open for a final blow and we will not be locked on 45-degree angles when aiming weapons like (some of) the classic games.
We can also expect two new amiibo including the Samus figure seen below, along with a special edition of the game that comes packed with music from across the entire franchise.
Metroid: Samus Returns will release on Nintendo 3DS in September 2017. Pre-orders are yet to go live.
For more E3 2017 coverage head over to Guide or hit the links below.
E3 2017 Coverage:
- Microsoft E3 2017: Xbox One X details, Forza 7 in full 4K, Assassin’s Creed Origins, more [Video]
- Sony E3 2017: God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Days Gone, Spider-Man, more [Video]
- Nintendo E3 2017: Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, Zelda DLC, Super Mario Odyssey, more [Video]
- EA E3 2017: Star Wars Battlefront II, Madden 18 story mode, Battlefield I DLC, more [Video]
- Bethesda E3 2017: Wolfenstein 2, Dishonored, Evil Within 2, Skyrim Switch, more [Video]
- Ubisoft E3 2017: Beyond Good and Evil 2, Mario + Rabbids, Skull & Bones, more [Video]
- Xbox One E3 price drops: 500GB + 1 game & $20 Amazon credit $249, more
Today’s Best iOS & Mac App Deals: Knights of Pen & Paper 2, File Manager Pro, more
Today’s Best Game Deals: Mass Effect Andromeda $30, Uncharted 4 $20, more
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links