Update (3/9 7:25am): After a delay, Best Buy has officially launched the new $30 pricing online.
I’ve previously told you about the fantastic savings gamers can achieve through Best Buy’s Gamers Club Unlocked (GCU), which offers 20% discounts on new games (and a bunch of other benefits) for two full years. Today, Best Buy announced that it’s officially dropping the price of GCU from $100 to $30 starting March 8, with membership to be available online and in stores. That matches the lowest GCU price Best Buy has offered.
Best Buy notes that Nintendo’s amiibo are also part of the deal: just like new games, 20% off an Amiibo on day one is probably the best deal you’ll find anywhere. See our amiibo guide for a list of the current and upcoming toys you’ll be able to get discounts on.
Many gamers will find that the $30 Unlocked membership pays for itself in one month, with 23 months of additional great deals. You save $12 every time you purchase a $60 game, and can get an additional $10 pre-order bonus for upcoming games including Batman: Arkham Knight, Halo 5: Guardians, and Mortal Kombat X, chopping their prices to $38 each. Read on for the other benefits of the Gamers Club Unlocked deal…
Full benefits include:
- Get 20% off new video game software (physical software purchases) and Nintendo amiibo
- 10% bonus trade-in credit on video game software trade-ins
- 10% off pre-owned video games
- Get 2x points on new video game software, digital content, and game accessories, redeemable for store credit
- Get 2 points for every dollar when you trade in games, redeemable for store credit.
- Special welcome coupons for buy two, get third free on pre-owned games, 50% off a strategy guide, and specials on accessories.
Gamers Club Unlocked is a perfect gift for the gamer who plans to buy even an average number of games over the next two years. It takes only three typical game purchases before the card pays for itself, after which the savings just keep racking up. Consider Bayonetta 2, which is still selling for nearly its full retail price at Amazon after coming out last October; at Best Buy, the price is $48 with this card. It’s one of the best purchases I’ve made – sign up here as soon as the deal goes live on March 8.