To make room in its lineup for new and upcoming releases, LEGO periodically retires older kits. Rarely does one of LEGO’s discontinued models ever go back into production. Last year’s remake of the Taj Mahal being one of the few notable exceptions. Today, yet another mid-2000s set is getting a re-release, the Creator Expert Vestas Wind Turbine. Towering at a meter tall, the kit includes fully functioning motor features, bricks from the Plants from Plants series and more. Head below to see how it stacks up.
The original brick-built version of the Vestas Wind Turbine was distributed throughout the 2000s as a promotional release. In conjunction with Vestas, the set was one of LEGO’s many partnerships with energy companies like Shell.
Mainly comprised of the wind turbine itself, a small house with furnished patio, mailbox, flowers and a white picket fence join the sleek white tower. The Vestas Wind Turbine includes three minifigures. Two of which are Vesta technicians donning V-printed torsos, and are set-exclusives.
Clocking in at 826 pieces, the re-release of the Vesta Wind Turbine will carry a pretty steep $200 price tag. That equates to $0.24 per piece, one of the worst ratios we’ve seen in modern-day sets. The recent Hogwarts Castle is four times more dense with parts for comparison. Even the upcoming Cloud City kit, a release with a more costly Star Wars license, is a better buy.
That being said, there’s more to the Creator Expert Wind Turbine than just its ratio of parts to price. LEGO rarely brings back an old release, let alone one as seemingly random as this. Despite a lower part-count, it stacks up to one of the largest builds out of the entire LEGO catalog.
At 39-inches (or 1-meter) tall, it beats out other top contenders like the 2007 Eiffel Tower by just a few inches. Motorized functionality has made its way to the kit again. This allows the turbine to spin just like it would out in the real world.
LEGO opting to re-release the Vesta Wind Turbine shows yet again the company’s interest in pursuing renewable, environmentally conscious energy sources. This is emphasized further with the inclusion of LEGO’s new Plants from Plants pieces. Plant-based bricks make up all of the kit’s included greenery.
Some may see the high cost and low part count and be immediately turned off. But in my book this is certainly one of the more intriguing recent releases from the company. It will be available for purchase later this fall on November 23rd and retail for $199.99.
10268 Vestas® Wind Turbine
Ages 12+. 826 pieces
US $199.99 – CA $249.99 – DE 179.99€ – UK £159.99 – FR 179.99€ – DK 1499DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Build and discover the iconic Vestas® Wind Turbine!
Celebrate green energy innovation with the LEGO® Creator Expert 10268 Vestas® Wind Turbine. Developed in partnership with Vestas, this detailed, motorized LEGO model captures the elegance and graceful movement of a traditional wind turbine and features a new-for-January 2019 spruce tree, manufactured from sustainably sourced plant-based plastic. At approximately 39” (1m) high, the structure towers above a wooded hill and a house with furnished patio, mailbox, flowers and a white picket fence. Turn the nacelle left or right and switch on the included Power Functions motor to rotate the adjustable wind turbine blades and illuminate the cottage’s porch light. This collectible model has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia and makes a great display piece for the home or office. This big LEGO set also includes a Vestas service vehicle and 3 minifigures: 2 Vestas service technicians kitted out with safety helmets and a woman, plus a dog figure.
- Includes 3 minifigures: a woman and 2 Vestas® service technicians with v-printed torsos, plus a dog figure.
- Includes a LEGO® Power Functions medium motor, battery box and 2 new-for-January-2018 19.6” (50cm) extension wires.
- This LEGO® Creator Expert Vestas® Wind Turbine set also features adjustable wind turbine blades, detailed tower, movable nacelle with aircraft warning lights, Vestas service vehicle, trees, greenery and a house with garden, flowers, picket fence and a patio with 2 chairs, table and a parasol.
- Turn the nacelle left or right and switch on the included Power Functions motor to activate the adjustable wind turbine blades and working porch light.
- Celebrate renewable energy technology with this buildable science toy.
- Open the service vehicle doors and slide out the retractable tool compartment.
- Includes a new-for-January-2019 spruce tree; manufactured from sustainably sourced plant-based plastic.
- Accessory elements include 2 safety helmets, tools and 2 envelopes.
- This set includes over 800 pieces and is suitable for ages 12+.
- Measures approximately 39” (100 cm) high, 24” (62cm) wide and 12” (31cm) deep.
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links