It has been a big week in gaming after all of the biggest publishers in the industry showed off some of the most anticipated projects in development from Cyberpunk 2077, to Death Stranding and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. While much of the attention is spent on the AAA developers and studios during E3 week, news of the folks over at Telltale teaming up with Netflix on a couple new projects has caught our attention.
We now know a new Stranger Things game is in the works at Telltale and that the company’s Minecraft: Story Mode will be coming to Netflix as an interactive episodic series.
Initial reports suggested the new Stranger Things game would be part of a new streaming service offered on Netflix but it appears there was some confusion on the matter. Minecraft: Story Mode will indeed be coming as a sort of choose-your-own-adventure series on Netflix, but the Stranger Things title will get distributed on typical gaming platforms the way most Telltale games do.
This wouldn’t be the first interactive show Netflix released either. The company recently put out a statement saying the new Minecraft version is coming this fall as an extension of its interactive stories which already include Stretch Armstrong: The Breakout, Puss in Book: Trapped in an Epic Tale and Buddy Thunderstruck: The Maybe Pile.
Not much is known in terms of details on the Stranger Things Telltale game. The developer is well known for taking existing properties and rolling them in to its familiar, yet successful game formula.
Much like the popular Walking Dead series and well, just about all of Telltale’s games, that includes narrative driven gameplay, player choice and a sort of cartoonish-like graphical treatment. If you have never tried one before, you should, they’re mostly great.
Separately, we’re thrilled to confirm that Telltale is developing a game based on Stranger Things that we’ll publish to consoles and computers at a later date.
Stranger Things season 3 is on the way on Netflix, so we could see the game launch around the same time. Telltale is known for releasing these kinds of games in episodic fashion so there could very well be some kind tie to the next season, rather than launching the series as a whole. In the meantime, you can go play the free Stranger Things iPhone and iPad game.
- Microsoft E3 2018 Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 4, Cyberpunk 2077, Gears 5
- Nintendo E3 2018 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Fortnite, Mario Party, more
- Sony E3 2018 Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, more
- EA E3 2018 Battlefield V battle royale, Anthem, FIFA 19, more ahead of E3
- Bethesda E3 2018 Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls VI & iOS, Starfield, more
- Ubisoft E3 2018 Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Division 2, Beyond Good & Evil 2, more
- Square-Enix E3 2018 Just Cause 4, Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts, more
- E3 pre-order deals from $48 w/ $10 credit: Fallout 76, AC Odyssey, Anthem, more
- Microsoft E3 2018 Deals Xbox One X $400 ($100 off), more
- Sony’s E3 2018 Deals PS4 Pro $50 off, Controllers $40, more
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.