Well, the day has finally come for us to see some actual Horizon Forbidden West gameplay. Sony has a special State of Play event scheduled for later this afternoon focused on Aloy’s next adventure on PlayStation 5, and we will be covering the event down below, as it happens, come 5 p.m. ET. It has been nearly a year since Sony and Guerrilla Games showed off their highly-anticipated next massive open-world game, but it’s only a matter of time now before we see the new frontier region (roughly modern-day Utah and the west coast) and Aloy in action once again. Head below for more details and to watch today’s Horizon Forbidden West gameplay presentation.
Horizon Forbidden West gameplay reveal
The folks at Guerrilla Games confirmed that it would be aiming for a 2021 release on Horizon Forbidden West, and while that launch window hasn’t been closed any further as of yet, today’s gameplay blowout certainly helps the cause.
This reveal has been a true team effort and we’re very excited to show you what we have in store. Whether you’ve been with us and Aloy since Horizon Zero Dawn or are only just getting to know this incredible world, we want to share this huge milestone with you and cannot wait to see your favorite moments and reactions.
There will be an exclusive 20-minute segment of today’s State of Play presentation focusing on the game with about 14 minutes of brand new Horizon Forbidden West gameplay “featuring our heroic protagonist Aloy, all captured directly on PlayStation 5.”
A special State of Play pre-show kicks of today at 12:00 p.m. ET this afternoon, followed by the Horizon Forbidden West gameplay reveal at 5 p.m. ET. You can watch it all down below:
Tune in from 9AM Pacific Time for a uniquely crafted countdown to the main event – starting at 2PM PT. Join Aloy as she braves the Forbidden West, a deadly frontier that conceals mysterious new threats.
Okay folks, here we go! Updates in-bound…
- The game is set 1,000 years in Earth’s future — People are no longer the dominant species
- To kick things off we are getting a cutscene with Aloy helping an injured companion. Raiders — tribal like antagonists — are present and are able to make use of the “machines.” It sounds like the opening are, or at least the area we are seeing today is the “ruins San Francisco.”
- Mountable Velociraptor-like machines confirmed.
- We are also getting a good look at Aloy’s enhanced traversal skills and a beautiful underwater setting as well as giant crocodile/whale-like machines. A special mask allows for unlimited air.
- Aloy has a spear as well as surge packs to create a high damage effect.
- Raiders are also riding massive “Tremor Tusks” — a giant elephant like machine
- Aloy’s special glider (the Shield Wing) — Breath of the Wild-style — is present and accounted for
- Aloy has to take down the massive elephant-like machine in the usual fashion — targeting special areas as well as picking up larger firearms off the ground to finish off the clip.
- Some kind strange device allows Aloy to view a sort of projected world map — “Let’s see where this thing will take us.”
- Today’s gameplay presentation finished with some kind of mysterious and treacherous storm — “A strange red blight is spreading across the land and Aloy is the only one that can stop it.”
Here is the full-resolution gameplay footage via Sony:
Check back later today for updates on everything that happens during the presentation.
In the meantime, here are even more details on the game, some great deals on Horizon Zero Dawn (if you happen to miss out on the freebie offer), and everything you need to know about the HZD PC release.
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links