Das Keyboards are known for making some of the most high quality PC and Mac accessories on the market today. In fact, I use one of its mechanical options as my daily driver and I couldn’t be more happy. Das took to Kickstarter for its latest creation, a cloud connected keyboard that blends its popular design with a fully customizable interface. The 5Q launched yesterday and has already doubled its initial funding goal with 28 days remaining. Full details below.
If you’re into using high-quality keyboards, you’ve likely already explored Das’ offerings. However, a fully customizable option is not readily available from this brand. The new 5Q aims to change all of that with a cloud-connected design.
This open API RGB mechanical keyboard allows you to assign colors to each individual button as a means to communicate important information such as statistics. An example of this would be having a column of keys that are coded into a graph that reflects changes in a certain measurable. If a stock were to rise, that column would illuminate. If the earnings were to fall, that change can be reflected as well. It’s a unique way to quickly communicate information in a truly customizable platform. Each of the changes are handled by the cloud-based control panel.
The 5Q features special switches from Omron that are good for over 100 million keypresses. Das has opted for extra bright RGB lights underneath each key, the goal here is to really make the illumination system a viable part of this products feature set. This is not meant to be a gimmick. Because of Das’ long history as a well-respected company, there is little reason to doubt that this will not be an excellently made product.
Additional features include Windows, Mac and Linux compatibility, a 104 key layout ended dual-purpose function knob with volume control. Currently, a pledge of $139 will deliver the 5Q keyboard in January 2017. There’s only about 400 units left at this price before it jumps to $229.
More New Toy of the Day:
- XOXX Composer is a Millennial’s dream music box
- D-Link’s new affordable IP cameras will make you think twice about buying a Nest Cam
- The new Devialet Phantom Gold AirPlay speaker has an astonishing 4,500 watts of power
- Anki’s new Cozmo robot brings a Pixar-like character full of emotions to your home
- I’ve always dreamed of a woodfire pizza oven with built-in USB ports.
AUSTIN, Texas–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Das Keyboard today unveiled the newest addition to its family of high-performance mechanical keyboards with the introduction of the Das Keyboard 5Q on Kickstarter. Built with groundbreaking software and electronics, the Das Keyboard 5Q is a cloud-enabled, open API, RGB mechanical keyboard that enables users to stream information from the Internet directly to their keyboard and color code keys to represent specific information.
With the Das Keyboard 5Q, Das Keyboard has once again taken the computer keyboard to the next level, this time by transforming a traditional input-only device into an output device that functions as a dashboard keyboard to help boost productivity.
“Because it’s a cloud-enabled output device, the Das Keyboard 5Q is different than any other keyboard ever made,” said Daniel Guermeur, founder and CEO of Das Keyboard. “This is a keyboard that enables users to customize the color and animation pattern of every key based on the specific information they want to keep tabs on throughout the day. Basically, we’ve turned the keyboard into an output device. Once someone test drives the Das Keyboard 5Q, we think they will never want an input-only keyboard again.”
In addition to being cloud-connected, the Das Keyboard 5Q comes packed with industry leading technology and features, including:
- Extra bright RGB backlighting system with RGB+ Electronics, surface-mount LEDs, diffracting lens and ultra-clear light guide — making it many times brighter than any other RGB keyboard currently on the market.
- New Gamma-Zulu mechanical switch developed by Das Keyboard with Omron located in Japan, with 1.5mm actuation point and can withstand 100 million actuations — 100 percent more durable than standard mechanical switches.
- Real-Time One (RTO) analog technology that detects a key press in 0.4 milliseconds and reports it to the computer in 1 millisecond — up to 45 times faster than other keyboards.
- A Q button for activating the Das Keyboard Q software that also acts as a volume knob.
- Desktop REST API to control the Das Keyboard 5Q light settings.
“Das Keyboard is excited to launch our revolutionary Das Keyboard 5Q on Kickstarter,” added Guermeur. “As the first cloud-connected keyboard in the world, we think people are going to be super hyped about getting their hands on the most advanced keyboard of the 21st century.”
For complete details and to join the Das Keyboard 5Q revolution, check out the company’s Das Keyboard 5Q campaign on Kickstarter.
About Das Keyboard
Das Keyboard, a brand of Metadot, makes high-quality mechanical keyboards. The company is headquartered in Austin, Texas and is dedicated to delivering innovative technology products to increase productivity and lower costs. Developed in 2005, Das Keyboard has been praised by major media outlets, techie magazines, geeks and regular people who use and rely on keyboards to be productive throughout the workday. For more information, please visit www.daskeyboard.com.
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links