Sometimes getting a quality internet connection to your home theater or gaming console can be a frustrating proposition. If you live in an older home, you likely have two things going against you from the outset: no ethernet jacks built-in and materials in your walls that can cause interference. The reality is that even the strongest consumer routers won’t do the job alone.
This issue can be solved one of two ways, with either a powerline adapter or a Wi-Fi range extender. TP-Link is adding to the mix of available extenders today with two new high-powered products that are capable of speeds in excess of 1,750Mbps.
First up, TP-Link has announced the AC1750 RE450 Wi-Fi Range Extender that sports a dual-band radio, 802.11ac speeds, plus a built-in gigabit port. It is capable of pumping 1,750Mbps, which will be particularly notable when transferring local files as most consumer internet plans cannot reach those speeds. Additionally, it has three adjustable antennas and is compatible “with any Wi-Fi router or access point”. The RE450 is set to retail for $199.99.
Next, TP-Link has gone all out with its RE580D AC19000 Wi-Fi Range Extender. Coming in at $149.99, this model includes speeds up to 1,900Mbps with a dual-band, three external antenna design. It uses beam-forming technology to locate and provide a stronger signal to your devices. A dual-core 1GHz processor manages your traffic, alongside a five-port gigabit ethernet setup. If you’re looking for the ultimate home theater companion, this might be it.
The TP-Link RE450 is available today at Office Depot, while its more robust counterpart has yet to be released. If you’re not in need of this much firepower, we recommend one of NETGEAR or TP-Link’s best-selling options. Alternatively, these popular powerline adapters offer much of the same functionality without Wi-Fi connectivity.
More New Toys of the Day:
- Is Luma’s surround Wi-Fi system the router we’ve been waiting for?
- Don’t Panic’s latest iPad Air 2 case is an astute all-in-one solution for every angle
- Bosch made a robo-farmer that looks straight out of a galaxy far, far away
- Mellow Boards makes any skateboard electric and looks good doing it
- Mogees iPhone-connected sensor turns any object into a playable instrument
TP-LINK Introduces New Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extenders for 4K HD Streaming and Online Gaming
SAN DIMAS, Calif. – Nov. 9, 2015 – TP-LINK®, a leading global provider of consumer and business networking products, today announced its new AC1900 Wi-Fi range extender RE580D with streaming speeds of up to 1,900Mps. The company also introduced its AC1750 Wi-Fi range extender RE450 reaching Wi-Fi speeds up to 1,750Mbps.
TP-LINK range extenders enable consumers to expand and improve Wi-Fi signals throughout their home. The RE580D provides coverage up to 10,000 square feet away, more than twice the size of most large homes. Its dual-core 1GHz processor, 3 dual-band external antennas and 700mW high-powered amplifiers eliminates “dead zones” and provides maximum Wi-Fi performance, keeping smartphones and tablets connected as consumers move about their home
Both range extenders feature 802.11ac technology, which makes simultaneous use of dual 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands to create the fastest wireless connections possible. Dual-band technology enables users to keep low-bandwidth tasks like sending email and Web browsing on a different channel than more intensive ones such as online gaming or 4K HD streaming video, ensuring faster, smoother overall network performance.
“TP-LINK is expanding its product portfolio and giving consumers more options that will eliminate boundaries and dead zones throughout the connected home,” said Lewis Wu, executive vice president of TP-LINK U.S. “Our new wireless range extenders dramatically improve Wi-Fi speed and reliability and broaden the reach of stable Internet, enabling consumers to enjoy an incredible Internet experience no matter where they are in their home.”
These new range extenders are equipped with Intelligent Signal Indicator LEDs to indicate the strength of the signal received from the router, helping users easily find the ideal placement for the extenders to ensure optimal performance. They are backwards-compatible, allowing them to work with older wireless protocols such as 802.11 a/b/g/n.
RE580D AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender
The RE580D is a desktop range extender that utilizes the 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard to deliver blazing-fast Wi-Fi throughout the home. Its impressive speed means that consumers can count on the RE580D to provide reliable connections for simultaneous, bandwidth-intensive tasks such as HD/4K video streaming, lag-free gaming, and large file downloads. Consumers can also seamlessly connect their smart TVs, game consoles, and streaming players to the Internet using one of the five dedicated gigabit Ethernet ports.
Additionally, with three external, dual-band antennas and 700mW high-powered amplifiers, the RE580D can establish a stable wireless connection to any Wi-Fi router and augment the network’s coverage by up to 10,000 square feet in the home.
· Simultaneous 600Mbps on 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps on 5GHz totals 1.9Gbps maximum Wi-Fi speeds
· Three dual-band external antennas and 700mW high-powered amplifiers greatly extend your existing wireless coverage
· Beamforming technology delivers highly targeted and efficient wireless connections
· Five gigabit Ethernet ports provide gigabit speed for wired connections
· Dual core 1GHz processor ensures no interruption when simultaneously processing multiple wireless or wired tasks
· Works with any Wi-Fi router or wireless access point
RE450 AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender
The RE450 is another great option for eradicating Wi-Fi dead zones. This dual-band Wi-Fi range extender plugs into any outlet, making it easy to install and move anywhere in the home. It comes with next generation 802.11AC Wi-Fi technology, making it three-times faster than standard 802.11n speeds. Plus, a gigabit Ethernet port lets consumers connect a wired device like a Blu-ray player, gaming console, DVR, or smart TV to their Wi-Fi network
· Expands Wi-Fi network for ultimate performance
· Expanded 450Mbps on 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps on 5GHz totals 1750Mbps maximum Wi-Fi speeds
· Three adjustable external antennas provide optimal Wi-Fi coverage and reliable connections
· Gigabit Ethernet port acts as a wireless adapter to connect a wired device to your network at gigabit speed
· Intelligent signal light helps to find the best location for optimal Wi-Fi coverage by showing the signal strength
· Easy installation, plugs into where there is an outlet
· Works with any Wi-Fi router or wireless access point
Price and Availability
The RE580D and RE450, part of TP-LINK’s complete line of range extenders, are available now. The RE580D is available at the TP-LINK store and other major retailers in store and online. The RE450 is available exclusively at Office Depot and OfficeMax. Featuring a 2-year limited warranty and 24/7 tech support, MSRP for the RE580D range extender is $149.99 and MSRP for the RE450 range extender is $119.99.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.